When thinking of the top 10 best places to retire, Costa Rica often come foremost on anyone’s mind as an ideal haven to start life anew. Though there are many international retirement communities burgeoning these days, taking important factors like security, health care, cost of living, investment-savvy, and climate must always be put into perspective to guarantee maintaining one’s current lifestyle amidst a steady fixed income from retirement.
At the rate the US economy is going, retirement benefits nowadays might leave some people on the streets long before they sign their last paycheck. With the current turmoil in the country, finding a new home in as far as Southeast Asia might have crossed people’s mind but when the need to shift continents can be too much, deciding on a place much nearer to one’s homeland make Costa Rica on the topmost portion of the top 10 best places to retire.
With millions of ardent vacationers and retirees visiting its majestic views, it is no wonder Costa Rica is consistently being hailed one of the most sought after vacation and retirement must-haves of Americans. Amidst its economic and tourism boon, it has continually maintained its awesome raw and unsullied beauty that extend from the cerulean blue waters to white sandy shorelines and into the best ecosystem endemic in this side of the Caribbean.
Beauty Meets Practicality
Aside from its majestic beauty, the Costa Rica consistently become part of the top 10 best places to retire due to its government’s great economic and health care incentives being offered to expats seeking refuge in its wings. Here, lifestyle is laidback, cost of living is at its bare minimum, health care is low cost yet topnotch, and the view is nothing but heavenly from the top or from the ground. From the mid-90s up to now, Indeed, Costa Rica has always topped the list of popular retirement for global expats and everyday American due to its temperate climate, modernized amenities and economic and political stability leading to a relaxing and comforting lifestyle which people in the prime of their lives continually seek ashore.
Top 10 Best Places to Retire in Costa Rica
When thinking of living in one of the Top 10 Best Places to Retire, knowing some places of interest will definitely be a great help. From the province of San Jose to Cartago, Guancaste, Limon, Heredia, Alajuela and Puntarenas, these old and new favorite destinations have continually topped the list.
1. Tamarindo, Guanacaste. A booming resort town, Tamarindo has been considered a playful haven of the young and the young-at-heart. Ongoing developments has created a new line of modern abode and equally urbanized standard of living and health care backdropped with the most amazing stretch of white sandy beaches, Caribbean blue waters and green virgin forest teeming with wildlife. Relaxing is too simple a word to describe this beauty.
2. Samara, Guanacaste. Still within the majestic province of Guanacaste, coming in close second on the top 10 best places to retire in Costa Rica is this unadulterated strip of land filled with powdery white sand lulled by the surrounding turquoise blue waters. Sophisticated and peaceful, this is one relaxing and laidback place where sport fishing, snorkeling, early morning beachwalks, swimming in calm waters, bird watching and jamming with other foreign friends can be enjoyed night and day.
3. Montezuma, Puntarenas. Jumping to the southern side of the peninsula, lies Montezuma. The used-to-be fishing village has continually been developed to become the bohemian beach town it is known for today that boasts of open-air comfort and jovial spirit, some things that many young-at-hearts seek in their retirement years. Cheaper than other cities and towns, it boasts of swimming holes, waterfalls, natural springs and all things intimate and lively. These days, various luxury abodes are being developed to cater to expats’ needs for comfort living.
4. Escazu, San Jose. Moving a little to the upper-class communities, Escazu is at present being hailed one of the top 10 best places to retire in Costa Rica. Located nearest to the heart of San Jose, this place boast of residences of both US and British ambassadors thereby earning its “upscale” tag where retirement can mean 18-hole golf course, state-of-the-art movie theaters, plush shopping, modern grocery stores, topnotch medical care, and luxurious country clubs. With this, it is no wonder realty price has continually been up and running on this part of the country.
5. Santa Ana, San Jose. Next in line to Escazu in terms of being one of the top 10 best places to retire in Costa Rica with a flair for the upscale and luxury is Santa Ana Canton. Modern residential living are being developed along with international boarding school systems, private hospitals, and shopping areas nowadays. When you want almost-same level of comfort in Escazu at affordable range, this is the place to be.
6. Moravia, San Jose. Not as modern and not as popular but definitely promising, Moravia is one of the current sensational places to open its halls to retirees in Costa Rica. Here, education, music and agriculture is the main dish with great expat community as appetizers. People live as one with the locales and are often served with respect and jolliness endemic among artistic Moravian Costa Ricans.
7. Manuel Antonio, Puntarenas. Boasting one of the world’s awesome park and reserve system, Manuel Antonio delivers a park-like abode where organic living is at its best. Source of the best steaks, succulent fruits and vegetations in the region, this has continually support the entire country and the US of organic produce necessary for good health and clean living. Of course, it would certainly be a great place to sit back, jump-up, relax and bask in the ethereal beauty of both land and sea.
8. Paraiso, Cartago. A quaint but charming town in the breathtaking Central Valley, there is a reason why this place was named Paraiso by Costa Rican ancestors. Encircled with bustling panoramic locales, botanical gardens and bustling farmers market, this is one of the few places in the world which declared GMO-free food in all its delicacies and produce. Healthy and scenic are great incentives awaiting retirees in this place.
9. Jaco, Puntareans. For years, this coastal city and its playa has continually earned top ten beaches to visit for ardent surfers, backpackers, and vacation nomads. Jaco nowadays had extended that title into one of the top 10 best places to retire in Costa Rica due to its current development making it one of the boomtown in the country teeming with demands from foreign expats. From luxury condos to casinos, movie theaters and gated communities, Jaco is one great place to spend one’s twilight years in utmost tranquility and indulgence.
10. Puerto Viejo, Limon. Completing the list of amazing communities to seek retirement with is the largest tourist destination of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca in the heart of Limon. Nicknamed Walaba, it is the epitome of laidback living and Rastafarian vibe where tranquility and merriment are kept at a balance to create a truly happy and contented living.
Though it has been proven time and time again that Costa Rica is one of the Top 10 Best Places to Retire in the entire world, it is important to note some very important factors that must be present in your choice of living abode in the area. Choosing a new home must not always deviate from what you are used to and doing close inspection will guarantee your ease of adjustment when in the area. Make sure to choose real properties that are done with care and attention by giving due checks on how these are being constructed, amenities included, convenience and accessibility, and where they are situated. There is nothing more enticing to begin and end your day with both sea breeze and mountain lull in full view whichever way you look.
You can give guided excursions a try to test the waters by visiting some of the mentioned places that appeal to you. Indulge in a little holiday getaway with your long time partner or family member. Assess pros and cons of living in your choice of new address. See how local daily living is being done. By then, you can guarantee choosing one of the top 10 best places in Costa Rica to start life anew.