What Is The Best Health Insurance Deal?
The best health insurance deal will be the best plan for you and your family. Here are some things to consider when you start shopping for a policy.
There are few “free lunches” when it comes to private health plans. The trick here is to figure out which health insurance policy will give you good coverage at an affordable price. Since we all have a different opinions about those things, there is not one right answer.
While you want to get a good deal, be wary of plans that seem a lot cheaper than other plans. For example there are hospital only plans on the market that seem very affordable. But most of us spend a lot more money on out patient services than we spend on in patient services.
Other so-called medical plans, are not even health insurance at all. They are discounts plans that do not actually cover anything. They may save you money, but will not pick up the tab.
A good deal will be from a policy that actually protects your health and finances!
- Estimate your budget for premiums. You will have that fixed expense every month.
- Then figure out how much of a hit you can absorb if you have to pay for some costs out of pocket. An office visit copay may be minor, but some services may require you to meet a yearly deductible before your plan starts to cover them. Even then, the plan may not cover them at one hundred percent until you have paid out the plan maximum.
- How do you like to get your medical services? Are you very loyal to a particular doctor, or would you be willing to switch if you saved a lot of money?
Now that you have estimated the answers to these questions, you are ready to start shopping for medical insurance.
How To Find Health Insurance Deals Online
There are lots of sources for consumer information about medical plans. The information you can find, and the plans on the market, will vary by your local area.
- Many of the largest insurers have websites that offer free online health insurance quotes. You can enter your basic information and get a selection of that company’s plans to browse. If you are interested in any of these plans, you can either buy online or call to get more information from a company representative.
- Other websites actually pull in quotes from a handful of different companies. These may not be associated with a particular company, but are operated independently. You usually start these quotes by entering your zip code so you can see what is on the market where you live. You may be able to purchase plans online. You will be given contact information for local health agents who can give you more help.
- Your state insurance department maintains a website with a lot of great consumer information. You can find out a lot about companies that are licensed to sell their products in your state. If you see anything, like registered complaints, that concerns you, it may be a good time to actually pick up the phone and call your state insurance department. They exist to regulate insurers and serve the taxpayers in the state.
- Consumer websites have articles that rate companies by financial strength, customer service, etc. Some even allow comments so you can see how other people liked the service.
Shopping for the right health plan can be time consuming and confusing. However, the Internet has a lot of resources that can give you great information, plus save you from driving around to visit with multiple agents.